Dental Fillings at All Dental in Arlington Texas
Why do we need fillings?
Fillings are among the most commonly performed dental restorative procedures these days. Teeth of modern day individuals are prone to developing caries (cavities) for multiple reasons. While it is important to check these to avoid further development of other cavities, it is also important to treat and fill the cavity as soon as it is discovered. Failure to prevent or treat teeth cavities in time can result in any of the following:
- Infection of the tooth
- Inflammation and infection of the gums
- Progression of teeth cavities to adjacent teeth
- Tooth loss, if teeth cavities are not treated for a prolonged duration.
That is why our dentists at All Dental in Arlington TX recommend our patients to visit for a dental checkup at least twice a year, so that any problems with your teeth can be fixed before it can cause permanent damage.
Is dental filling a complex and painful procedure?
No. fillings are routinely done by qualified dentists all around the world. It is probably the simplest restorative procedure a dentist carries out. At All Dental, Arlington, Texas innumerable fillings are carried out weekly. At All Dental in Arlington TX, our dentist will first remove the soft and weakened tooth structure that contains the cavities. Afterwards the structure of the tooth will be restored by applying a suitable filling material over it. Severe pain is normally not caused during a filling, but since a bit of drilling will be involved, depending on the case, the dentist may administer local anesthesia.
What options are available for a filling?
Many options for a filling material are available at All Dental, Arlington, Texas to suit your budget and aesthetic priorities. Some of these are:
- Gold fillings at All Dental Arlington TX can last long may two decades or more. They are either applied directly on the teeth, or they can be made in the dental laboratory and then placed inside the teeth. For this reason, more than one visit is required. Gold fillings are expensive, but have a long life. However, due to their unaesthetic appearance, their use has declined over the years, as more esthetic filling materials are available now in Arlington TX.
- Silver Amalgam fillings at All Dental Arlington TX are relatively inexpensive and can resist wear. However, they show a dark color, and are not popular for front (visible) teeth. Additionally, various health concerns have been raise regarding the use of sliver amalgam as a filling material.
- Composite resin fillings at All Dental Arlington TX these are the most commonly used filling materials at All Dental, Arlington TX. They have the advantage that they can be color matched to the teeth. Hence they are suitable for front teeth which are visible during smiling and speech. Composites are not as robust as amalgam, and can get stained. They have relatively shorter life compared with the amalgam fillings
- Porcelain Indirect Fillings at All Dental Arlington TX can also be used as an indirect filling material in the form of inlays or onlays, where the filling is prepared in the laboratory and then placed inside the tooth at the dental chairside. They can be color matched to the tooth and can resist staining. A porcelain restoration will generally cover most of the tooth. Their cost is high, quite comparable to gold fillings. Porcelain fillings are the current fashion.
Post filling care
- Avoid eating hard food on that side for one day so that the filling cures.
- Continue routine hygiene practice, that is, regular brushing and flossing.
- Sometimes the dentist may advise a protective cap or crown to be placed over a heavily filled up tooth.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, if you want to save your money from being spent on expensive dental treatment, it is advisable that you visit us at All Dental, Arlington TX, regularly for a checkup so that we can take care of your dental worries.